Time to Decide Europe Summit, is a one-day conference that will address the dilemmas posed by the war in Europe. The conversations and debates continue this year, with prominent thinkers, and renowned political scientists and economists. Together they will seek to untangle the urgent questions facing us today as well as offering insights on the future of Europe.
Austrian Minister of Foreign Affairs
Vice-President of the European Commission
THE UNBEARABLE LIGHTNESS OF POWER: EUROPE, GEO-POLITICS AND THE WAR IN UKRAINE
Russia's invasion of Ukraine has forced the EU to reassess its geopolitical strategy and dependence on the US. Questions remain about decoupling, cost, defense spending, and strategic autonomy. Europe's response will determine its global standing. Time to decide is now.
CHALLENGES TO EUROPEAN DEMOCRACY: FEAR, LOATHING AND HOPE
Democracy in Europe is under siege from authoritarianism and crises, including the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Differing views on peace, energy prices, and mistrust add to the challenge, creating concerns about governability due to polarisation.
FUELING THE FUTURE: ECONOMY, ENERGY AND ENVIRONMENT
Europe secured alternative energy supplies after the Russian invasion of Ukraine, but faces challenges in maintaining environmental goals and market control. Coal and nuclear power have reemerged, and the single market has been eroded by state intervention.
CONFIRMED SPEAKERS AND PANEL MEMBERS
- Anthony Barnett, Writer, campaigner and co-founder of OpenDemocracy
- Milica Delevic, Director for Competitiveness, Governance and Political Affairs at the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
- Kirsten Dunlop, Chief Executive Officer at Climate-KIC
- Taras Fedirko, Lecturer in Organised Crime and Corruption at the University of Glasgow
- Gerald Knaus, Chairman of the European Stability Initiative (ESI) in Berlin
- Ivan Krastev, Permanent Fellow at the IWM
- Jan-Werner Müller, Roger Williams Straus Professor of Social Sciences at Princeton University
- Janka Oertel, Director of the Asia Programme at the European Council on Foreign Relations
- Soli Özel, Senior Lecturer at Istanbul Kadir Has University
- Katarzyna Pełczyńska-Nałęcz, Director of the Institute Strategies2050
- Kim Lane Scheppele, Laurance S. Rockefeller Professor of Sociology and International Affairs at Princeton University
- Mary B. Warlick, Deputy Executive Director International Energy Agency
- Guntram Wolff, CEO of the German Council on Foreign Relations (DGAP)